Woody Point was once bustling Newfoundland community
After a quick trip south from Rocky Harbor to Deer Lake where a computer doctor diagnosed a defunct laptop, we headed back north on Highway 430 and decided to take a side trip to Woody Point.
The first lighthouse at Woody Point was built in the early 1900’s. This one was built in 1959. In the background is the water taxi which runs from Norris Point to Woody Point.
Gros Morne Provincial Park, a huge facility named for the largest mountain in the park, extends westward and includes Woody Point and some other small communities. Highway 431 is a pleasant drive on a nice smooth road that cuts through the mountains and skirts Bonne Bay to Woody Point, 18 miles from the main north-south Highway 430.
The little town of about 300 was the major shopping community for the area in the early 1900’s. Today it’s mostly a fishing village with a large fish and lobster processing plant that dominates the downtown waterfront. Just southeast a few miles from Rocky Harbor is Norris Point which provides a water taxi and a much quicker route for visitors arriving from the north. The water taxi carries only passengers, no vehicles, which is not really a problem because Woody Point is only about three or four blocks long.
Downtown Woody Point, Newfoundland.
Situated on the shores of Bonne Bay, Woody Point is a Registered Heritage District and has a waterfront with many heritage buildings including four Registered Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Structures.
The British started settling here in the 1800’s, arriving in the summer to fish the offshore waters primarily for cod. They would return to England after the fishing season but later started staying here year-round and the settlement grew in numbers.
A pickup load of firewood is raffled on main street in Woody Point.