Pointe Riche Lighthouse, Port au Choix
A ship passes in the distance of the Port Riche Lighthouse near Port au Choix, Newfoundland.
The Point Riche lighthouse is located a few miles west of the town of Port au Choix at the end of a gravel road. It can also be reached by taking a combination of walking trails that originate at the Visitors Reception Center.
We drove there after eating freshly baked bread from a wood fired oven in town, topped with local berry jam.
Built in 1871, Point Riche Lighthouse guided fishing vessels and steamers on their voyages between the Gulf of St Lawrence and the Atlantic Ocean. The first lighthouse keeper was paid $600 annually to live on site and maintain the light.
It is referred to as a pepperpot lighthouse because of its salt or pepper shaker shape. The tower is octagonally shaped and painted red while the rest of the lighthouse is painted white. It is still in operation.
The lighthouse keepers house burned in the 1970’s.
We walked around the lighthouse grounds and watched two whales in the distance as they cruised along the shoreline, rising occasionally to take a breath then disappearing.